Surprise and delight that someone special by whipping up some scumptious Valentine’s goodies, thanks to Siúcra.
Raspberry Pancake Stack with Rose Cream is a breakfast made with love, sure to make your Valentine’s tastebuds tingle.
Treat someone special to a dessert of Red Velvet Swirl Brownies for the perfect indulgence!
Why not get the kids involved in the romantic season and have them whip up some Love Heart Iced Cookies – they’ll love eating them just as much as they’ll love making them!
Raspberry Pancake Stack with Rose Cream
Makes 15 medium American style pancakes depending on the size
For the filling
120ml crème fraiche
70g Siúcra Icing Sugar
2 to 3 drops rosewater
For the pancakes
220g plain flour
2 tbsp ground almonds
1½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of nutmeg
4 tbsp Siúcra Light Golden-Brown Sugar
¼ tsp almond extract
Oil or melted butter, for frying pan
120ml melted dark chocolate, to serve
Rose petals, to decorate
Raspberries, to decorate
Siúcra Icing Sugar, for dusting
- To prepare the filling, spoon the crème fraiche, cream and Siúcra Icing Sugar into a bowl and whisk well until thick. Add drops of rosewater to taste.
- To make the pancakes, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, nutmeg and Siúcra Light Golden-Brown Sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, milk and almond extract together in a jug and make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in and whisk well to form a thick batter. Add in the raspberries and mix.
- To cook the pancakes, heat oil and butter over a medium heat in a large frying pan, once hot, place spoonful’s of batter into the pan, cook for about 1-2 minute. Flip over when bubbles start to rise and cook for a further minute.
- For the filling, whisk together all ingredients until a thick cream forms.
- To assemble, sandwich 3 pancakes together with the filling. Sprinkle a few rose petals in between, add the raspberries and dust with Siúcra Icing Sugar. Pour / spoon some melted chocolate over each stack of pancakes and top with rose petals.
Red Velvet Swirl Brownies
For the Brownies
100g (4oz) White Chocolate, broken into squares
100g (4oz) Butter
175g (6oz) Siúcra Light Golden-Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 Medium Eggs
½ tsp Red Food Colouring
125g (4 1/2oz) Plain Flour
For the Cream Cheese Swirl
200g (7oz) Cream Cheese
2 tbsp Plain Flour
2 tbsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Medium Egg Yolk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4 and line an 18cm (7in) square cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Leave to cool a little.
3. Melt the butter and put into a large bowl. Leave to cool and then add the Siúcra Light Golden-Brown Sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder and beat with a hand-held electric mixer. Add the eggs and food colouring and beat until well combined. Fold in the melted white chocolate, add the flour and using a large metal spoon, gently fold it all together with as few stirs as possible so you do not knock the air out of it. Gently spread into the prepared baking tin, leaving about two tablespoons behind in the bowl – you will use this later for the swirl pattern. Set aside.
4. Beat all of the ingredients for the cream cheese swirl in a bowl until the Siúcra Caster Sugar is evenly combined. Dollop spoonful’s of it on top of the brownie mixture that is already in the tin. Then add the remaining two tablespoons of the brownie mixture. Take a knife and swirl the brownie mixture around in the tin. Be sure not to over-swirl it otherwise the mixture will just look like a pink cake batter. But swirl deep into the tin so that the marble effect goes right throughout the brownie and is not just at the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the centre of the brownie springs back slightly when touched but it is still nice and gooey in the middle.
6. Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into squares and serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream.
Love Heart Iced Cookies
200g Siúcra Caster Sugar
200g butter softened
1 large egg beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
400g plain flour
1 packet Siúcra Instant Royal Icing
1 packet Siúcra Roll Out Icing
4 tablespoons Siúcra Icing Sugar
Pink and purple gel food colouring
Edible silver balls
Small piping bag with nozzle, optional
1. Cream the butter and Caster sugar together. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
2. Sieve the flour and add to the mixture. Flatten slightly and wrap in cling film. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Sprinkle a little flour on to a work surface, roll out the cookie dough to an even thickness (approx 1/2 inch). Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Carefully put them on a lined baking tray and return to the fridge for another 30 minutes.
3. Bake at 150℃ for 20-25 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
4. Allow to cool completely.
5. To decorate, sieve the Siucra Royal Icing Sugar into a bowl and follow the directions on the packet to make it. Divide between two bowls. Colour one bowl with pink food colouring and the other with purple. Fill a small piping bag with one of the coloured icings. Pipe around the edge of the cookie. Carefully fill the middle of the cookie with the other coloured icing.
6. To decorate the cookies with Siúcra Roll Out Icing, dust a work surface with Siúcra Icing Sugar. Lightly knead the Siúcra Roll Out Icing sugar for 2 minutes. Sprinkle a little Siúcra Icing sugar on a work surface and roll out the icing to 1/2 inch thick. Use the same shape cookie cutter as used for the cookies and cut out the icing. Spread a thin layer of Siúcra Instant Royal Icing onto the cookies then stick the roll out icing on top. The Siúcra Roll Out Icing can also be coloured with food colouring.