Get the kids screaming with delight this Halloween with our spooky sweet trick or treats. They are frighteningly delicious.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the cookies:
240ml extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
130g Siúcra Caster Sugar
130g Siúcra Brown Sugar
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 large egg
250g plain flour
1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g dark chocolate chips
For the ghosts:
300g Siúcra Icing Sugar
8-10 tsp water
25g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vanilla, Siúcra caster sugar, Siúcra brown sugar and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Add the egg and mix until completely smooth again. Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until just incorporated with no visible dry spots of flour. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use your hands to shape the batter into balls of around two tablespoons each. Place on the prepared baking trays, spaced at least 4-5cm apart.
- Use the palm of your hand to gently flatten the balls very slightly, then sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking trays for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling to room temperature.
- To make the Siúcra icing, sift your icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add in your water, 1-2 teaspoons at a time, mixing after each addition until you get a thick, pourable consistency.
- Dip the bottom of each marshmallow into the bowl of icing and place, icing side down, on top of each cookie so that they stick in place. Use a spoon to carefully pour the icing over the marshmallows, making sure they are completely covered and that some icing is dripping down onto the cookies.
- Using a cocktail stick, dot the melted dark chocolate onto the marshmallow ghosts to draw two eyes and a mouth.
Top Tip! To save on time, you can use your favourite store-bought cookies instead of making them from scratch.
Visit https://www.nordzuckerireland.ie/ for more recipes, inspiration and top tips for cooking and baking.