Cosy up by the fire this Christmas with our homemade Gingerbread cookies and a hot cup of cocoa. A treat that Santa Claus and the family are sure to enjoy.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Difficulty level: Easy
125g butter, softened
100g Siúcra Brown Sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 pinch of salt
For the icing
1 egg white
150g Siúcra Icing Sugar, sifted
- In a bowl, cream the butter and Siúcra brown sugar together. Add the golden syrup and egg and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine thoroughly. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3. Remove the dough from the fridge and knead on a well-floured work surface until just soft.
- Roll out to ½cm thick and cut into desired shapes using a biscuit cutter. Place on three large parchment paper lined baking trays. (Bake two trays at a time in the oven)
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave the biscuits to cool on the baking tray for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the Siúcra icing, beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until stiff.
- Transfer the icing into a piping bag (or a plastic bag with a small corner snipped off) and decorate your cooled biscuits to your liking.
Test Kitchen Tip: Use the pointed end of a wooden skewer or cocktail stick to fix or shape any icing mishaps.
Visit https://www.nordzuckerireland.ie/ for more recipes, inspiration and top tips for cooking and baking.