Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the right way with Siúcra x Catherine Fulvio’s delicious lemon and lime Shamrock St. Patrick’s Day Cake!
This perfect companion to the celebratory day helps get the festivities off to a great start, with it’s refreshing lemon curd, and punchy lime buttercream.
Topped with some festive decorations, this is sure to be a show stopping dessert!
Serves 10 to 12
For the lemon lime curd
2 limes, juice and zest
2 lemons, juice only
180g Siúcra Caster Sugar
4 egg yolks
For the cake
180g Siúcra Caster Sugar
180g unsalted butter, softened
380g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
For the butter cream:
250g butter, softened
550g Siúcra Icing Sugar
2 limes, juice only
Green food colouring
Black food colouring
Siúcra roll out icing, to make shamrock cut outs and a leprechaun hat
Cut a 15cm heart shaped template from baking paper
A large cake board
A piece of green or white ribbon for around the board
To make the curd:
- Place all the ingredients into a saucepan over a low heat and stir most of the time until a thick curd forms.
- Remove and leave to cool completely.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan160°C/gas 4. Brush 3 x 18cm cake tins with melted butter and dust with flour.
- Cream the Siúcra Caster Sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the beaten eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the 3 cake tins and bake for about 20 to 22 minutes or until golden and when a skewer is inserted into the middle it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
To make the butter cream:
- Place the butter, Siúcra Icing Sugar and lime juice together and whisk until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Retain 5 generous table spoonful’s of buttercream to pipe around the edge and for sandwiching together.
- Add green colouring to the rest and whisk again until you’ve reached the colour you want.
- Place the heart shape template onto a cake and cut the shape.
- Slice the cake in half and repeat for the two remaining cakes.
- Spread some curd on one cake half and butter cream on the other and sandwich them together.
- Place the points of the hearts facing inwards in the shape of a shamrock (you may need to trim them a little, so they fit together.)
- Use a trimmed piece of cake as the shamrock stem.
- Spread butter cream over the top and sides of the cake.
- Colour a piece of Siúcra roll out – one green and a small piece, black. Using the green roll out, cut out small shamrocks and shape a leprechaun’s hat and trim with black rollout icing, place on the sides and top of the cake.
- Spoon the white buttercream into a piping bag with a nozzle and pipe around the cake.
- Secure a piece of ribbon around the board.