For the ultimate indulgence this Pancake Tuesday, whip up a batch of Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio’s Pancake Stack with Orange Segments, Chocolate Fudge Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts.
This mouth-watering and decadent dish is perfect for a luscious breakfast or a satisfying dessert.
The combination of sweet juicy oranges and chocolate fudge sauce make for the perfect plate of pancakes.
Serves 6 – 8 (depending on the size of the pancakes)
For the filling
3 oranges, peeled and chopped
2 oranges, juice only
100g Siúcra Caster Sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Garden herbs such as fennel fronds and edible flowers, optional
For the Chocolate fudge sauce
250ml double cream
4 tbsp. Siúcra Dark Brown Sugar
100g dark chocolate, melted
For the pancakes
300g plain flour
Pinch ground cinnamon
60g Siúcra Caster Sugar
3 to 4 tbsp water, if your batter is too thick
4 tbsp toasted hazelnuts
300ml whipped cream
Orange zest, to decorate
To prepare the filling
- Place the orange juice and 3 tbsp water into a medium saucepan with Siúcra Caster Sugar and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil, stirring most of the time, then lower the heat and simmer slowly until a light syrup forms.
- Add the orange segments to the syrup.
To make the sauce
- Place the cream, Siúcra Caster Sugar and chocolate into saucepan and heat over a low heat until the chocolate and sugar melts and the sauce thickens.
- Add the butter and stir very well. Set aside.
- Chop 3 tbsp of the hazelnuts while keeping the 1 tbsp whole for the top of the stack.
To prepare the pancakes
- Combine the plain flour, ground cinnamon and Siúcra Caster Sugar in a bowl. Beat together the eggs and milk and slowly whisk into the flour mix. Leave to stand for 10 minutes and pour into a jug.
- When ready to cook, heat the frying pan and add a little butter and oil.
- Swirl enough batter into the pan to make a pancake that will fit the size of your cake stand or serving platter.
- Cook for about 1½ minutes and then turn onto the other side, cooking for about ½ minute until golden and cooked. Place on a clean plate continuing to make all the batter.
- Place sheets of parchment paper in between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking
- Place a cool pancake on a cake stand, spread over some cream, drizzle over the chocolate fudge sauce and chopped orange.
- Continue to layer up and finally end with chocolate fudge sauce with a sprinkling over of hazelnuts and some orange zest.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!