Siúcra & Catherine Fulvio’s Chocolate Lace Pancakes with Mango, Blueberries and Yogurt
Kick your Pancake Tuesday off right with these delicious Chocolate Lace Pancakes from Siúcra. Try your hand out at this easy, but beautiful pancake design and wow your friends and family with your artistic abilities, and knack for flavour! Paired with lemon balm syrup, and fresh fruit, you’re sure to have a winner.
For the lemon balm syrup
80g Siúcra Caster Sugar
1cm piece of fresh ginger
A large sprig of lemon balm
1 mango, peeled and diced small
5 shredded mint leaves
120ml natural Greek Style yoghurt
3 tbsp toasted chopped hazelnuts
For the pancakes
180g plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp Siúcra Icing Sugar
50ml water (you may need a little more)
Oil, for frying
Siúcra Icing Sugar, to dust
To decorate, a few blueberries and sliced mango, sprigs of mint or lemon balm
To make the syrup:
- Place the Siúcra Caster Sugar and water into a saucepan over a high heat, bring it to the boil, reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer slowly for about 10 to 12 minutes until a light syrup forms.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the ginger and sprig of lemon balm and leave in the syrup until it is completely cold.
- Remove the ginger and sprig and pour the syrup into a sterilised bottle.
To prepare the pots:
- Layer up the diced mango and then blueberries and spoon over some of the lemon balm and ginger syrup, spoon natural yoghurt into 4 ramekins or glasses, ending with the hazelnuts on top.
- Leave to infuse in the fridge while you cook the pancakes.
To make the pancakes:
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and icing sugar into a bowl. Whisk the egg, milk and water together in a jug.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour and whisk to form a smooth thin batter. Leave for 5 minutes.
To cook the pancakes:
- Pour the batter into a squeeze bottle (the hole in the nozzle must be fairly wide) and ensure the lid is fitted on tightly)
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil over a medium heat.
- Draw medium size heart shapes with the squeeze bottle in the pan and fill in a lace effect in the centre. If you feel the batter is too thick, add about 2 tbsp of water into the bottle and shake well.
- Cook for about 1 minute before turning over onto the other side for about 30 to 40 seconds. Slide onto a warm plate and keep warm between pieces of parchment to separate them.
To serve, dust the serving plates with a little Siúcra Icing Sugar, place a fruit pot on each. Arrange 3 pancakes to the side of each plate and decorate with a few mint sprigs and a few blueberries. Serve immediately.