With temperatures set to soar in the coming weeks (thankfully!) here’s a delicious Mexican Beer Chicken recipe below from the BBQ Masters at Weber. It’s very simple and super flavoursome recipe to follow whereby the chicken has been infused with the flavours of a Mexican beer.
https://www.weber.com/IE/en/home/ has all the necessary BBQ accessories to recreate.
Serves: 4 to 6 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Additional preparation: 0
Grill time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Grill temperature: 180 °C
Grill method: Indirect
Equipment: GBS Poultry Roaster
Core temperature: 75 °C
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin, seeds ground
1 tsp chili flakes
Zest of 1 lime
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1kg whole free-range chicken
1 tbs. rapeseed oil
1 bottle Mexican beer (Corona)
2 wedges of lime
1 split red chilli
IN THE KITCHEN:
- First make the rub for the chicken by finely grinding all the ingredients in a pestle and mortar.
- Lightly oil the exterior of the chicken and evenly coat with the rub.
- Half fill the GBS Poultry roaster cup with the beer followed by the lime wedges and chilli.
- Place chicken onto the GBS Poultry Roaster cup, making sure the chicken is stable and upright. Cut a wedge of the remaining lime and plug the neck cavity of the chicken. This will help keep all the scented steam in the carcass and stop it from escaping.
- If desired, a selection of lightly oiled and seasoned mixed peppers can be added to the base of the GBS Poultry Roaster at this point.
AT THE BARBECUE:
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat, approx. 180°C. If using a charcoal barbecue, you need ½ chimney starter of lit briquettes.
- Roast the chicken over an indirect medium heat for approximately 1 hour 10mins or until the meat has reached 75°c. It is recommended to probe the meat with an instant read or iGrill Thermometer.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.