Siucra are delighted to be partnering with foodies Gastro Gays, a duo renowned for their creativity in the kitchen when it comes to whipping up tasty treats using seasonal ingredients and household cupboard staples.
Check out their scrumptious Honey, Lemon & Poppy Seed Madeleines, a perfect afternoon picnic treat.
The iconic shell shape is achieved by buying a Madeleine mould, but if you fancy making them without the tin, it’s very easy to use a muffin tin instead to make some rounded cakes, which will still look and taste amazing.
100g butter, melted
100g plain flour, plus more for dusting
100g Siúcra Caster Sugar
1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
1 whole free range or organic egg, separated, plus 1 egg white
1 tbsp honey
Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon, grated
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (170ºC Fan) meanwhile melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave and leave to cool slightly. Using a pastry brush, coat the madeleine tin (or muffin tin) with a light brush of butter, then sprinkle some flour over this to lightly coat.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and sugar as well as the poppy seeds, if using them.
- In another bowl, add the egg yolk, the honey and grated lemon zest. Use a fork to mix it all together. Then slowly add in the slightly cooled butter, continuing to whisk it with the fork.
- Using either a hand whisk, an electric beater or stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until they’re stiff.
- Fold the butter, honey and lemon mix into the dry ingredient bowl until they’re mixed well together. Note: It’ll become quite pastry-like during this process – that’s fine! Then, fold in the egg whites in stages, using a whisk or a spatula, but try to not knock all the air out of them.
- Add about 1 tbsp of the mixture into each of the moulds then bake for about 10-12 minutes until they’re golden and firm. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack. A light dusting of icing sugar before serving is recommended, but not essential. Best eaten the day of baking, and keep in an airtight container if any leftover.