Spending more time indoors has it’s upsides, more time to get creative in the kitchen!
Siúcra has a selecition of scrumptious recipes to whip up over the Easter period, perfect for a post Lenten indulgence.
Easter Chick Cupcakes are sure to be a favourite with the kids and plenty of fun to prepare.
Alternatively, the Easter Nest Cheesecakes are a delectable goody, with creamy and crunchy textures to delight your tastebuds.
For the main event, Sticky Roast Chicken with Cornbread is sure to be a showstopper.
Easter Chick Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
120g self-raising flour
140g Siúcra Caster Sugar
1tsp baking powder
40g unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
For the buttercream
400g Siúcra Icing Sugar
200g unsalted butter
Juice of 1 lemon
300g Siúcra Roll Out Icing
A few drops yellow food colouring
A few drops red food colouring
A few drops black food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients and the butter together until a sandy texture.
3. In a jug, whisk the milk, eggs and lemon zest together, slowly stream into the butter mix to form a smooth batter. Spoon the batter in the lined cupcake tray.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once baked allow to cool completely.
5. Using an electric mixer beat together the icing sugar, softened butter and lemon until light and fluffy. Add a little boiling water to loosen the buttercream if required.
6. Using a piping bags with a star nozzle, pipe on a swirl of buttercream on top of the each cupcake.
7. To make the chicks, reserve 30g of fondant. To the remaining fondant, knead the yellow food colouring into the fondant until it’s a bring yellow shade. To the 30g fondant, knead in a few drops of red colouring for the beaks, the flowers and feet.
8. Roll out the yellow fondant to about 1cm thick. Use a round cutter to cut, the same size as the cupcake, cut out 12 circles. Keep the remaining fondant for the wings.
9. Knead and re-roll the fondant. Use a small heart shape cutter to cut out 24 wings. Use a paintbrush and a little water to adhere them to the circles.
10. Roll out the pink fondant to about a ½ cm thick. Cut out 12 small triangles for the beaks. Use the remaining pink fondant to cut out the flowers. Use a little water to stick the beaks to the center of the circle.
11. For the feet, cut out the same small flower cutter, cut them in half and use a little water to stick them to the base of the circle. The petals will look like little feet.
12. Use a toothpick or a very fine paint brush to do two dots for eyes just above the beaks.
13. Use a little water to stick a flower to the top edge of each cupcake.
Sticky Roast Chicken with Cornbread
For the roast chicken
1 x 1.4kg whole chicken
100ml balsamic vinegar
2tbsp Siúcra Light Golden-Brown Sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
20ml soy sauce
Salt and black pepper
For the cornbread
125g plain flour
140g Súicra Caster Sugar
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 medium egg
60ml vegetable oil
Roasted vegetables or mash
1. Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
2. Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
3. In a small pot, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, oil, soy sauce and seasoning. Over a low to medium heat, heat the marinade for 3-4 minutes, until it reduces and becomes sticky.
4. In a baking dish, place the chicken and spoon the marinade all over the chicken.
5. Roast the chicken for one hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife.
6. To make the cornbread, line a 23cm round cake tin with non-stick parchment paper.
7. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
8. In jug whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil. Pour into the dry mix and mix until just combined.
9. Pour the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into pieces.
10. Once the chicken is cooked, serve with the warm cornbread.
Siúcra Easter Nest Cheesecakes
For the base
20g Siúcra Light Golden-Brown Sugar
For the cheesecake filling
360g cream cheese, room temp.
180g Siúcra Caster Sugar
40g plain flour
200ml sour cream
1tbsp vanilla extract
50g chocolate chips
For the nests
180g shredded wheat, crushed
150g milk chocolate, melted
36 mini eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/ 160˚C fan/ gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
2. For the base, whizz the biscuits in a food processor until they are roughly crushed, or place in a sealable bag and bash with a rolling pin.
3. Place the crushed biscuits and Light Golden-Brown Sugar into a bowl and pour over the melted butter. Stir together until the mixture resembles wet sand.
4. Divide the mix between the cupcake cases and push firmly to form an even base for the cheesecake. Place in the fridge to set while you make the filling.
5. In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
6. Stir in the flour, sour cream, vanilla and chocolate chips.
7. Divide the mix between the cupcake cakes. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Remove the cupcake cases.
8. To make the nests, stir together the shredded wheat and the melted chocolate. Spoon on top of each cheesecakes, use the back of a teaspoon to make a small well.
9. Place in the fridge and allow the chocolate to set. Put 2-3 mini eggs into each nest.