These delicious mince pies are a novel treat over the festive season, the combination of rich dark chocolate and orange is a real winner. They also make a wonderful gift that anyone would be happy to receive.
Makes about 20-24 depending on the size of the muffin tins
Preheat oven to 165°c / gas mark 4 ½
For the chocolate pastry:
400g plain flour
275g unsalted butter
75g icing sugar
75g ground almonds
75g ground almonds
50g cocoa powder
2 large egg yolks
2-3 tbsp milk
For the mincemeat:
900g dark brown muscovado sugar
450g vegetarian suet
110g mixed peel
125ml brandy or whiskey
3 tbsp marmalade
2 large cooking apples, grated
Zest of 3 large oranges
100g good quality dark chocolate, coarsely grated
The chocolate pastry:
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar, ground almonds and cocoa powder.
- Make a well in the centre. Add the egg yolks (and a little milk if necessary) and mix until it comes together in a ball.
- Wrap in Clingfilm, refrigerate and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine all the dried fruit, cover the fruit with bowling water and allow to plump up in the liquid for 30 minutes, then drain well.
- Transfer the drained fruit into a clean bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- The mincemeat is better if it is matured for a few days before being used.
To make The Mince Pies:
- Grease the mince pie or muffin tins well.
- Roll the chocolate pastry out to about 3mm thick and cut out 24 circles, around 2cm larger than the diameter of the holes in your tin. Then line the tins.
- For the top of the pies cut out 24 smaller stars, holly leaves or Christmas trees to use as lids.
- Generously fill the pastry bases with the chocolate mincemeat, then place a lid on top and gently brush with a little milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin and then remove from the tray to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve. These keep well in an airtight container for up to a week.
Explore AVOCA’s range of festive food and gifting online at www.avoca.com