Peploe’s Wine Bistro is located on St Stephens Green in the heart of Dublin City.
Produce sourced from the best Irish suppliers, great food and ambience at Peploe’s Restaurant.
Peploe’s story is the culmination of a long-held ambition for owner, Barry Canny, to open an accessible, affordable bistro reflecting his personal passion for simple good food, fine wine and art.
The building dates from the 1760’s and is classic Georgian Dublin. It was a rather ambitious project that Mr Canny embarked upon to develop the basement location as it housed an 18 tonne steel door and is a listed building. 2 years and 350 tonnes of concrete later Peploe’s opened its doors on the 19th of November 2003 to an incredible buzz of interest.
As the restaurant is named after the renowned Scottish Colourist, Samuel John Peploe, reproductions of his artwork and that of the other Scottish Colourists (commissioned from young Irish artists) adorn the walls. In a touch of style, these are framed with original 19th century frames sourced in London.
The motivation was to give Dublin an informal yet sophisticated bistro, serving great wine and classic dishes at affordable prices. 16 years on, Peploe’s is still considered ‘the’ place to eat at anytime of the afternoon or evening.
The décor has the feel of a long established, stylish gentleman’s club, with comfortable leather chairs and reclaimed oak-panelled floor and walls. The dining room is colourful and atmospheric with an amusing mural running the length of the dining room wall.